Saturday, September 8, 2012

The first week of school

It's Saturday!! The first Saturday of the school year, and I am thankful for the morning I had to sleep in. Even though I had dreams about work [We were all preparing to move our school into an old restaurant where each class would sit at a booth, and I was gathering items to teach the three year olds to sew. My boss was asking everyone if they took fish oil and talking about the wonders it does for the hair. I found a human skull and a sabertooth skull buried in sand in the desert where most of this dream was taking place. And it ended with being chased by a lion cub and a wild donkey.] it was so nice to take the morning slow.

This week was very busy, I was exhausted by the second day of school, but I am very excited for the year ahead! I bought some classroom management signs at Lakeshore, not quite sure how well they would work, but they are doing wonders for me. The visual cue and follow through I am able to give helps me be consistent and keeps my students accountable, and a large part of it, too, is being able to store them in a central, easily accessible location. Being in the 3's class is a nice change. It is distinctly different from the 2's [Toy Story 3: the caterpillar room vs. the butterfly room: it's true]. I can see with consistence they are going to be on top of things in no time. I have learned from the 4 years past and I was able to come into this year with a better idea of what I need to do, different approaches I need to take, and ways I need to be organized (I realized last year I am not the most organized person). My students already do such a great job, sure they got a little rowdy, but I know it will only get better from here. I really want to make it a point to build relationships with each student, to know that I am on their side, and have them be on my side. I am really glad my small class will allow for that. And they play so nicely!

"I bought new shoes at Nordstrom." -LL, age 2

No comments:

Post a Comment